The Spastics Society of Tamilnadu was established by Mrs. Shanti Sadiq Ali, as the first centre in the Southern Indian Region, exclusively for spastic children at the C.P.Ramasamy Arts Centre.
The First SPASTN urban centre is established at Ayanavaram, Chennai
SPASTN established its second urban centre at Taramani, South Madras on 5 acres of land donated by Late Dr. M.G.Ramachandran, the then Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
SPASTN’s One Year Teacher Training Course in Special Education at the undergraduate level is launched
SPASTN’s third urban centre is set up at Royapuram, North Madras and Core Workshop to develop special furnitures
- SPASTN launches the first-ever Early Detection Program in 5 city Government Hospitals for screening high-risk NEWBORN babies immediately after delivery, before discharge from hospitals
- Recognition of SPASTN’s One Year Postgraduate and Undergraduate Diploma in Special Education courses recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India
Launch of Community Based Rehabilitation in 2 Blocks in the Chengalpet District. Currently operating in Thiruvallur district. A modified Gymnasium for the disabled was set up here.
- Human Resource Development Centre at Taramani, with hostel facilities for outstation students
- The Vocational Training Centre building is launched
- Open Air Auditorium was inaugurated
- Offered Affiliation status to NGOs in Pondicherry, and Madhya Pradesh
- SPAS Foods a food processing unit run by disabled girls and their mothers, as an income-generating program is launched
- Mobile Rural Extension launched in 6 Blocks in Kancheepuram District, through Government Health Centres
- Research was done in Computer Software Development for the disabled with the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation and the NIIT
- Interface on Disability, NGO Network of Tamilnadu to reach disabled children in every district and village of Tamilnadu, through the replication of the Linkage Model by 22 NGOs Partners.
- Established Orthotic unit for making low-cost and individualized splints, calipers, modified computer equipment.
- Customized Short training courses launched for the service force such as the Department of Public Health, ICDS, NGOs etc.
- Launched the Action Group on Advocacy for the Disabled.
- High-risk screening extended to 9 Government Hospitals in Chennai and 35 PHCs outside Chennai
- Short term stay facility for Family Service Centre for the rural disabled children and families in Taramani
- Multi-Sectoral Linkages with Departments of Education and Rural Development of the Government of Tamilnadu
- Inclusion of children with disabilities within the regular education system in Chennai and Tiruvannamalai & Thiruvallur districts.
Accreditation to National Open School for NIOS curriculum and Orthotics and Assistive Devices unit
- Accreditation to Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Training for Primary Health Centres Doctors – RCI National program
- Launched Rights Awareness Campaign on Persons with Disability and the Act – PACT
- Launched the pilot program on Empowerment of Girls and Women with Disabilities – called the EDGE
- Launched Study Centre for B.Ed (LI and CP) Bhoj University
Published a book called Towards Inclusive Communities
- Established a Multiple Disability Unit with the support from Hilton Perkins, Boston, U.S.A
- Able Art - A job oriented training for young adults with Multiple Disabilities launched.
- State Nodal Agency Centre for National Trust
- Solar lighting set up in Taramani Campus
- Multisensory Garden as part of the Community Rehabilitation program launched in Tiruvallur.
Papers presented at the International Congress at Stavanger, Norway on Congress - Inclusive Education, supported by USAID, New Delhi
- SPASTN entrusted to run The State Resource Training Centre [SRTC], Government of Tamilnadu
Vazhndhu Kattuvom program in Ellapuram Block launched
- Granted affiliation from the University of Madras for P.G.Diploma in Developmental Therapy [PGDDT] and P.G. Diploma in Special Education [PGDSE]
- MOU with Lifeline Hospitals for training and job placements for young adults
- Launched Niramaya Health Insurance Scheme under The National Trust
- Program Study Centre for Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Certificate course in Early Childhood Special Education [CP] – Distance Education
Launched the State Level Awareness Program “Badhthe Kadam”
- Launched Able@World of Work (ABLE@WOW) for providing Community Based Vocational Training for students.
- Twelve students were placed on On-site training at the Copper Chimney outlet in Taramani as part of the “Together – Sure We Can” initiative for young adults with disability in the Food and Beverage sector.
- SPASTN introduces Avaz Alternative and Augmentative Communication tool in classrooms.
- Therapeutainment Kinect (X-BOX GAMES), a motion sensory video game is used as a therapy tool at SPASTN.
- The Fitness Centre is a state-of-the-art gym to improve both strength and endurance of young adults and adolescents of SPASTN.
- Customized state-of-the-art sensory integration unit designed and developed by SPASTN for State Resource Training Centre, Chennai.
- Reed Elsevier sponsored books for our Library
- The visit of their Majesties Emperor and Empress of Japan on December 5th 2013.
- Structured Training Education Program [STEP] for children with Autism supported by Tech Mahindra Foundation
- Capacity Building Training programs at International, National and District levels
- Study Centre for PGPD SE-MR for Tamilnadu Open University
- The spirit of SPASTN was put to test in the December 2015 floods of Chennai, when the Taramani headquarters went under floodwaters. The SPASTN family came together to rise from the deluge.
- NIOS student of SPASTN was honoured by the then Honorable President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee, for his Thirukural Recitation at Rashtrapathi Bhavan, New Delhi
- SPASTN Royapuram started a deafblind unit at SPASTN, Oldwashermenpet branch with the support of Sense International India.
- A weaving Unit started at Vocational Training Centre
- The Therapeutic Enrichment Activity Hall – Research and Development construction begins
- RCI recognition for B.Ed received. N.O.C from the Government of Tamil Nadu
- SPASTN became a fully accredited member of the Credibility Alliance for good governance and the public accountability of NGOs
- Rehabilitation Council of India Certificate of Approval received for B.Ed.Spl.Ed (MD) course.
- SPASTN was chosen as a member of Experts of Sub-Committee of identification of suitable Posts A & B Differently Abled Persons under section 33, Government of Tamilnadu
- SPASTN was chosen as a member of Expert Committee on Accessible Indian Campaign - Access Audit, Government of Tamilnadu
- SPASTN was chosen as a Member of Expert Committee, Tamil Nadu State Welfare Board
- SPASTN was chosen as a member, Expert Committee - studying the concept of Virtual Reality time for training the Autism and children with Intellectually Disability @ State Commissionerate, Government of Tamilnadu
- SPASTN was chosen as a member, Expert Committee on Alternative and Augmentative Communication by Government of TamilNadu
- SPASTN became a member, Expert Committee on Multiple Disabilities – to suggest and recommend new Assistive Devices for National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities [NIEPMD]
- Gokul Srinivasan our student got a GOLD in the Special Olympics for 800m freestyle swimming and Silver for 1500 in Abu Dhabi
- Quizabled, a unique annual special quiz for children with disabilities conceptualized by Seva-in-Action, Bengaluru and powered by Larsen and Toubro Infotech Ltd. was conducted.
- A coffee shop was initiated at Taramani as part of Vocational Training Programme
- A new course on Diploma in Montessori / Kindergarten Teacher Training programme offered by Bharath Sevak Samaj was started at SPASTN
- Our first student to get placed after passing out of NIOS - Ms.Ranjana, a girl with cerebral palsy joined the Gramin Co-operative bank as Junior Assistant
- The Sports Arena was inaugurated by Ascendas Singbridge India IT park
- Collaborated with Motivation India for customized wheelchairs
- His Excellency Our Honourable Governor Shri Banwarilal Purohit inaugurated the TEACH[R&D] Auditorium
- Publication - Booklet on Early Identification and Intervention of Children with Deafblindness in Southern Regional Languages including the English language
- SPASTN started online sessions for children during COVID. Teachers and therapists stayed connected with children and their families to maintain routines and address their fears.
- COVID learning optimization methods introduced to families - how to optimize on household equipments for teaching learning and therapy, parents become intervenors / teachers
- COVID assistance of food rations and medicines sourced through network of donors, social service organizations and State Government supported initiatives
- To overcome social isolation we started group therapy that included 4-5 students for children.
- SPASTN received laptops for teachers through CSR Projects / Corporate donations.
- Teachers also used the time to attend to number of webinars to enhance their professional practice.
- Quizabled was conducted in a virtual mode
- Svastya Early Intervention and Early Education was opened at Thiruvallur District with the support of the GiftAbled Foundation